Sunday 7 July 2013

The Poet of Pike's Peak

Sideburn's poet, Travis Newbold, has just returned from racing the Pike's Peak International Hillclimb on his 450 Honda. Below is his report. Read his latest poem in the next issue of Sideburn, out soon.

The meat of the 7 day race, I did not expect to win this year. I also did not expect Honda to send a factory team. I raced on the same used, take-off tires I had given to me last year. Therefore I am not disappointed or surprised in my 4th place finish. Or the 1st place (factory HRC) beating my record by over 30 seconds. This sport is not for the empty bill fold. Though I feel what I have inside more than makes up for my stock dirt bike front brake and lack of a slipper clutch. I was off pace all week in practice. I crashed on day 3 in a tight switch back corner. In qualifying I lost the front again and some how brought it back and kept it on the road. 
The day before the race I learned that my front brake was dragging, getting hot and locking up. Not confidence inspiring. Not when minutes before I leave the line I here of flight for life rides and crashed bikes starting forest fires. This is not a race for the concerned with safety. This is real. Hospitals and coping mechanisms. I count myself extremely lucky and blessed by the moto gods to have the yearning desire to return next year and take back my 450cc world record on the bike I built from junk yard parts. This is why I was put on this wonderful and hard to understand planet.

7 comments:

Dr-Ogo said...

Travis is a God amongst men...

ROBOT BOYS OF HOLLOWAY said...

Travis may have had his record broken but it's clear he sets the standard .

tom said...

awesome. Congratulations on the runs. very inspiring!

Frank said...

Nice work, Travis. See you at Dacono for the flattrack soon!

Nick said...

Travis, respect to you in a big way

747 said...

Thank you all very much!
Means a lot to hear your support.

capnsimo said...

Well done Travis, next year a win and how about the the TT, we'll chuck the bike in the boat and get there a bit earlier next time.....take care and look after yourself
xxs