Tuesday 8 December 2015

Good Loser

Chess was not my forte at school, but as other kids were getting wooed by the mysterious power of Sinclair ZX Spectrum and kicking back on Pac-Man, the old game still intrigued me. As a teenager, I was not impressed with Trivial Pursuit, and to this day, chess is the only board game that doesn't bore me. Now an adult, and a Dad, I am very happy that my 7 year-old boy seems to have taken to it pretty quickly - once I'd tricked him away from his Nintendo 3DS. So fast so, I had to promptly stop being so courteous. Now I have to do my best to defend the crown. He's extremely proud to out-manoeuvre me. But his attention span does wane if the game drags on, so we play at a quite care-free, suicide mission pace. It's not unusual that he throws me on my back, Taekwando style, after just a few minutes. Yesterday, unusually, the battle continued valiantly to the last few faithful pieces. And unbelievably to both of us, I managed to put him in check-mate with my last Pawns - or Shrimps as he calls them. He's not a good looser. But that's something I can teach him, I'm a very experienced loser. BP

4 comments:

Mick P said...

Loved chess as a kid and I remember the first time I beat my dad. Coincidentally, I just recently turned up my membership card for Chess Club at school, joined mainly because it got you to the front of the dinner queue.

Chris said...

like

Unknown said...

maybe when boredom strikes, you should play on the tiled floor!!.

Anonymous said...

Brave boy wearing those stripey duds.