Saturday 12 December 2015

Mablethorpe

Mablethorpe sand racing season continues tomorrow. Racing from around 11am. Free to spectate, cheap to race.
They'll let you race just about anything. You just need to fit a lanyard cut-out wired into the loom. This Kawasaki GT550 is a regular in the unlimited road bike class (for anything over 250cc).
 There's also a class for grasstrackers.
The previous race was my first of the season. My dirt cheap Honda SLR650 (also unlimited road bike) had been neglected all summer, but was treated to a new Renthal chain, oil and filter and a once over at CFM of Sleaford, plus a seat unit from Survivor Customs. Much appreciated support from son/mechanic Max and Dave Taylor.
Got a second (I think) in my final heat of five after having terrible starts. I also had the narrowest escape from a crash that I've ever had. I was so sure I was down and out that I was already looking behind to see if anyone was going to hit me, when the bike came back in line and I didn't even lose a place.
Glyn is in the under 250 road bike class on his modified Suzuki X7.
Andy's started racing a Honda  XL250 in a KLX frame.
Ross (Rootbeer Bobber) has built a DT400 (above and below) to race in Vintage DTRA next year, but has bought some tyres for a run out on the beach. He debuts tomorrow.
It would be great if some of the sandpeople would cross over to the DTRA, though a few sand bikes (like my Honda have no brakes, and they need a rear brake for UK dirt track). And they'd need 18 or 19in wheels for DT tyres. G

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A load of the unlimited road bike class turned up to a practice day at Scunny a while back. They were all wall riding to find grip for their knobblies, so I lent them my honda. Man, did they push it hard! It would be good to see them during the summer.

Unknown said...

You got a third overall, Gary. There's a trophy waiting for you.

With a brake and the right wheels, could an XL 250 run in DTRA events? What about Dirtquake?

Sideburn Magazine said...

Hi Tom
Rear brake and 18s/19s with dirt track tyres and yes, you can, in the ever expanding DTRA Rookie class.
You can enter on a £10 day licence to see if you like it too.

Dirt Quake, possibly too, but the bike has to look MoT-able.

If you ever want to visit for a cuppa and talk Land Rovers and race bikes, just get in touch - dirt @ sideburnmagazine.com.
I'm in Spalding.

Gary